VIDEO: Gorgeous Galway and Clare along the Wild Atlantic Way

by Satu Vänskä-Westgarth on September 12, 2014 · 8 comments

After cycling along the Wild Atlantic Way in Ireland for five full weeks I feel kind of done. Not done in a way that I’d never get back on my bike again as the next biking adventure, this time with the little ones is taking place tomorrow, but done when it comes to taking in amazing scenery, devouring good food, meeting friendly people and adventuring outdoors day after day. I’ve probably also reached the limit when it comes to using superlatives in any given online media. The dull, dreadful autumn season when all the colours are gone but snow is not yet here better come soon so that I have nothing to praise (or as some would say, brag) about!

However, when I go back to the Connemara National Park and Aran Island in County Galway, and Loophead Peninsula in County Clare with the latest video from our Ride Wild 2014 adventure, the scenery still keeps amazing me. To put it in words, there is no better way than to quote Cillian Murphy from Loophead Peninsula Tourism and Bog Road Bike Tours who is also featured on the video:

Today was bit overcast and foggy, but you know what, I think that’s actually pretty much what the whole west of Ireland is like. You don’t get to see everything, all the time. Sometimes the best bits come out in a flash of sunlight and you come around a corner and you just go “oh my god, that was so cool”.

Well, I muttered many OMGs, quite continuously, and some louder than others in the last five weeks.

So here we go, from Westport through Galway and Clare, the ride continues towards Kerry and ends in a hot bath of deliciously slimy seaweed. Huge thanks goes to Firethought, once again, for putting this video together for us!

Ride Wild 2014 is supported by Ireland Tourism, North West Adventure Tours, Skimbaco Lifestyle and Birk Sport, see all the partners here. And thank you triathlonist Andree Walkin also for modelling for this post & video! :)

Angus O Connor September 15, 2014 at 6:58 PM

Great video. When can we expect to see West Cork. Our Charity Cycle last Saturday raised €30,000.Best wishes from the Clonakilty gang.

Satu Vänskä-Westgarth September 16, 2014 at 11:21 PM

Thanks Angus, and that’s amazingly well done with the Charity cycle!! Images coming in tomorrow’s post, video coming next week or the week after. Still catching up… :)
Have a look! Satu Vänskä-Westgarth recently posted..VIDEO: Gorgeous Galway and Clare along the Wild Atlantic WayMy Profile

Mae September 17, 2014 at 3:25 AM

So beautiful. My husband and I toured Galway a couple years ago and LOVED it. I wish it would have been on bikes but we didn’t have that long. Brought back a lot of good memories watching the video.
Have a look! Mae recently posted..7 DIY Costume Ideas for Nature LoversMy Profile

Satu Vänskä-Westgarth September 17, 2014 at 7:01 AM

Thanks a lot Mae! I wish we had had longer in Galway as well, like in ever spot along the Wild Atlantic Way, but now I look forward to going to back to visit many of these places :)

John O Brien September 18, 2014 at 3:04 PM

Satu,
Just looking at some of your reports and photos. All great. Particularly interested in your Rotorua report. Great place. Toured both islands and smelled the “rotten eggs” of the volcanic hot spots of Rotorua. An amazing place. Another favourite place in N.Z. is Hot Water Beach near Hahei in N.E.of North Island. My favourite country after Ireland.
Your co-cyclist from Clonakilty to Kinsale.
John O Brien.

Satu Vänskä-Westgarth September 18, 2014 at 3:11 PM

Hey John, thanks for stopping by & great to hear from you! We went to the Hot Water Beach too, it was definitely a great spot but I’d like to return there with less crowds off-season. If there’s ever such time… :) Next you need to come to Norway, I think you’d quite like it here too if you are into NZ (and Ireland of course)!
Have a look! Satu Vänskä-Westgarth recently posted..33 reasons to fall in love with West Cork (in Images)My Profile

Joshi Sonali April 18, 2015 at 9:51 AM

After seeing the video, i added Connemara National Park and Aran Island to my trips list… the video is awesome and shot very well…
Have a look! Joshi Sonali recently posted..Judaa Lyrics – IshqedarriyaanMy Profile

Satu Vänskä-Westgarth May 10, 2015 at 9:07 PM

Thank you so much Joshi! I highly recommend both of those places!
Have a look! Satu Vänskä-Westgarth recently posted..When Adventure Comes to You: Warm Showers and Bike Trip Almost Around the WorldMy Profile