New Zealand: Delightfully slowly

by Satu Vänskä-Westgarth on February 10, 2014 · 16 comments

Cobweb I @SatuVW I Destination Unknown

It would not be possible to travel any slower than this, as in fact, we are stuck. Our resident spiders have weaved their webs time and time again in the corners of our outdoor terrace while we have been, not busy, on our Kiwi get-a-way.

In seven weeks you can see quite a lot of a country. However, we opted for settling nicely in Okere Falls close to Rotorua, unpacking our bags and filling our fridge with fresh local produce. It is only five minutes to the Kaituna river for a quick paddle, world-class mountain biking awaits within thirty minutes in Rotorua and it takes just over half an hour to get to the coast with its surf beaches. It is all here.

I even got a one-month membership to the local gym. I’m almost ashamed to admit it!

The brochure pile on the kitchen table keeps growing with exciting destinations I would be curious to experience, but instead of trying to take in whole of New Zealand, as a tourist, I still rather stay almost put, and get to know one region little better and almost feel like a local in the end.

Family holidays in New Zealand I @SatuVW I Destination Unknown

Tomatos in New Zealand I @SatuVW I Destination Unknown

Family holidays in New Zealand I @SatuVW I Destination Unknown

Kaituna Waterfall in New Zealand I @SatuVW I Destination Unknown

Family holidays in New Zealand I @SatuVW I Destination Unknown

Beach life in New Zealand I @SatuVW I Destination Unknown

Sunset at Okere Falls in New Zealand I @SatuVW I Destination Unknown

Okere Falls has a strong kayakers’ community and my husband was here on his last visit little over ten years ago. It was through his contacts and friends we found this little bach, a kiwi summer cottage, to be our home for a month. Or as it seems more likely now, the whole seven weeks we are here in New Zealand.

We are not going to stay hiding in our bach for the seven weeks though. The sound of the waves crashing on the shore and cicadas singing are accompanying me as I sit on the porch of our simple campsite cabin, with a cold glass of local white wine and enjoy the coolness of the evening after the humidity of a hot day. We put our little travel van to test and have now settled in the small beach village of Hahei in Coromandel for couple of nights. Although I think we just might stay one or two nights longer.

See, we take it slowly. But delightfully so.

Despite and because of the slow local Internet connections I have been updating few little moments from our travels as images in Instagram and Facebook. Go take a look!

Elisa February 10, 2014 at 4:58 PM

I don’t mind taking it slow. In fact, when you can do that, I think it’s the best way to get to know a place. Enjoy your slow travel 😉
Have a look! Elisa recently posted..Cute Valentine’s day outfits… that you can wear the rest of the yearMy Profile

Satu Vänskä-Westgarth February 11, 2014 at 9:41 AM

For sure! Too bad we can’t always stay a month or two in one little spot. But for now, we’re enjoying this as much as we can! :)
Have a look! Satu Vänskä-Westgarth recently posted..New Zealand: Delightfully slowlyMy Profile

Mrs. Chasing the Donkey February 10, 2014 at 9:41 PM

That kinds of pace suits me just fine. What a lovley sounding place – and of course the photos are just as good as always. Perhaps just more sunshine :)
Have a look! Mrs. Chasing the Donkey recently posted..Croatian cures you need to know!My Profile

Satu Vänskä-Westgarth February 11, 2014 at 9:43 AM

Ha ha, more sunshine? Nooo…. It’s been good to get bit of rain today, I’m really looking forward to a proper storm though! And yes, this spot is gorgeous!

Anita February 11, 2014 at 11:47 AM

Happy to hear that you have an awesome time in New Zealand :) It’s great to have enough time to travel slowly and enjoy the beautiful spots a bit longer than just for a few days :)
Have a look! Anita recently posted..Suomenlinna – für einmal Wind und Wetter getrotztMy Profile

Satu Vänskä-Westgarth February 13, 2014 at 5:21 AM

I know! And it’s a luxury to be able to go back to the best spots too. It might be hard to leave, as I’ve said… :)
Have a look! Satu Vänskä-Westgarth recently posted..Little pieces of backyard blogging from New ZealandMy Profile

Lynlie and Rick Watson February 12, 2014 at 8:07 AM

Hi! Our friends John and Rosemary Corkery told us you were in New Zealand. We hope you will drop by to spend an afternoon with us! We live on a small acreage just outside of the little town of Katikati, which is half an hour’s travel north of Tauranga,(on the way down-country from the Coromandel. But you’ll need to be quick as we are off to Australia for three weeks on 7 March. We have retired from doing B&B these days, but still love meeting people! Give us a call – Landline is 07 49 0616, and my cell (text) is 021 272 8710. Cheers! Lynlie.

Satu Vänskä-Westgarth February 13, 2014 at 5:23 AM

Hi Lynlie, so nice that you dropped by, Rosemary mentioned me about you! And such a pity that we just passed Katikati on our way to and from Coromandel. I will call or text you in the next few days when we have a better idea what the plan is. Would love to drop by!

andreea February 12, 2014 at 7:38 PM

Oh, the place look amazing and your pictures are stunning. I can totally understand that you want to take it all in. Enjoy!
Have a look! andreea recently posted..Scarf ScandalMy Profile

Satu Vänskä-Westgarth February 13, 2014 at 5:23 AM

Thank you Andreea, this is an easy to place to take pictures, the place itself is SO beautiful!

Zana@GreenGlobalTravel February 22, 2014 at 5:41 AM

Super jealous that you got to spend 7 weeks in New Zealand! It’s such a beautiful country. I like your mentality of getting to know a place slowly rather than running around trying to experience everything as a tourist.
Have a look! Zana@GreenGlobalTravel recently posted..Pitch Your Park! Rangers Plug Six of the Best US National ParksMy Profile

Satu Vänskä-Westgarth February 22, 2014 at 1:30 PM

This has been a dream of mine for a long time and finally we got the trip together! I have to admit though, seven weeks isn’t enough…. :)
Have a look! Satu Vänskä-Westgarth recently posted..Learning Languages and Toddler’s Travel TalkMy Profile