What’s Up 2014!?

by Satu Vänskä-Westgarth on January 9, 2014 · 23 comments

Happy New Year 2014 I @SatuVW I Destination Unknown

You have definitely got a grey, rainy start on you, one I didn’t expect in this winter wonderland of Norway. I thought I’d feel slightly sorry to skip the winter this year, but right now, I’m nothing but relieved about our imminent move to New Zealand. Soon we will meet again, summer!

Last week I hinted about interesting and even adventurous projects that are in store for 2014 but I didn’t plan to revisit this “New Year” topic quite yet. As the year changed and the days started rolling past, I had a small moment of profound panic though and I stopped to think how to make most of 2014 so that it doesn’t just slip away. It’s most likely going to be last of its kind as I’m not planning on taking another maternity leave, ever again! Little boy and little girl in our family make it just right. To those who wonder, here in Norway maternity leave (paid one) is roughly one year long. Got to love it.

My friend, Amsterdam’s top Bird, Frankie from the As the Bird Flies blog has for couple of years listed her travel and now writing goals for the New Year. I thought that what if I also made my little plans and goals public so that at least personally I would feel accountable? I’m not one for New Year’s resolutions but I reckon these are more than that.

The main goal for me is the abstract notion of “feeling good”. Here are few things that should maximise that feeling, sprinkled with images from my Instagram gallery for this Thursday’s Instagram Travel Thursday.

Microadventures in Norway via Instagram I @SatuVW I Destination Unknown

1. Microadventures. We started the year with a tiny little outdoor adventure and the plan is to have many more to come. “Do more and write less” said my better half to me a little while ago and although it felt bit harsh at the time, he might have got it right. Although I did correct it to more accurate “do more and spend less time wasted online”. Well, it’s only two weeks to go and we’ll have plenty of adventures in New Zealand!

2. Getting back to the water. Without white water kayaking I would have not met my husband, we wouldn’t have the two little (adorable) monsters, I don’t think I would live in Norway and my travels would’ve for sure taken a whole different direction. After having our toddler I thought I’d get right back to kayaking but my head wasn’t quite in it and I was nothing but frustrated. Now, after missing a whole kayaking season again, I plan to return and enjoy it. No matter whether I can do the stuff I used to be able to do or not. There.

Lofoten in spring via Instagram I @SatuVW I Destination Unknown

3. Continuing the Lofoten love story. My love affair with Lofoten was way too brief, I have to go back. And it shouldn’t be too difficult. Lofoten is only a train & flight, train & ferry journey or twenty hours drive away. Or make that forty with kids…

4. The BIG adventure. Is there anything more annoying than mysterious Facebook updates that leave you guessing what’s coming up or going on? Well, I’m doing just that, right here. Whether this adventure comes through or not, I will let you know in the coming months. But it will be adventurous and arduous and I need to get fit. Getting fit alone will make me feel fabulous.

Beach days in Ireland via Instagram I @SatuVW I Destination Unknown

5. Iceland. So close but so far. It seems that everybody was in Iceland last year, at least when I look at what’s going on in Instagram. The Blue Lagoon, lava fields and those big waterfalls are all calling my name.

6. Better on-line, off-line balance. I want to write more, read more, learn more and do more online related projects, while spending less time online. Video that has made its rounds in Facebook stopped me on my tracks, has someone been lurking around our household and noted my current iPhone usage? Maybe one day a week totally offline might be a good way start to this mission!

7. Eat, sleep, rest. Enough said.

All these goals are easily attainable but bit tricky at the same time. The concrete ones like Iceland will be easy to tick off the list but what about spending time offline if WiFi is available?! It doesn’t matter how corny or worn-out the video below is (anyone here who hasn’t seen it already?), but this year I for one will hold on to each moment, live life to the fullest and squeeze little tighter those I love (not too into inspirational videos? Try to make it to around 1.35 min mark, that’s where it gets wings)!! At least I will try.

What about you? Any goals or resolutions for this year, big or small?

Have you participated in Instagram Travel Thursday yet? If not, it’s not too late!

I’m part of the team co-hosting the Instagram Travel Thursday, an initiative started with Skimbaco Lifestyle online magazine to connect travel and Instagram enthusiasts across borders and I would love if you joined us! Read the guidelines on Skimbaco’s site and you too can now host this link-up in your own blog. You can get the code to add to your blog hereOnce you are ready with your own post, please add it to the Linky in the bottom of the page and check out some of the other participating bloggers! In Instagram you can find me at @todestinationunknown

Ann January 9, 2014 at 12:02 PM

I’ve been weighing the pros and cons of publicizing my goals for this year, but I think you’ve given me the inspiration to just do it. I’m going to work on it this weekend. I like the idea of microadventures and I think I’m going to add that to the list I’ve already made.

I can’t wait to hear more of your big adventure.
Have a look! Ann recently posted..Even the Rijksmuseum is child friendlyMy Profile

Satu Vänskä-Westgarth January 9, 2014 at 10:09 PM

Ann, go for it! I don’t think anyone else cares whether I reach these goals or not, but to myself having them out there make them more concrete, attainable and well, something I should go for. I look forwards to reading yours if you get them out there! :)
Have a look! Satu Vänskä-Westgarth recently posted..What’s Up 2014!?My Profile

Ann January 10, 2014 at 7:48 AM

done!
Have a look! Ann recently posted..Focus: A new perspectiveMy Profile

Satu Vänskä-Westgarth January 11, 2014 at 8:08 AM

Cool!! I will head over to have a look. I can then remind you all throughout the year what you promised…. 😉
Have a look! Satu Vänskä-Westgarth recently posted..What’s Up 2014!?My Profile

Alison Chino January 9, 2014 at 2:26 PM

Yay for you! Looks like so much fun stuff happening for 2014. I will be UBER jealous when you head off to New Zealand but I’ll be following along closely and LOVING every picture. :) XOXO All the best!
Have a look! Alison Chino recently posted..Snapshots of Scotland: Winter EditionMy Profile

Satu Vänskä-Westgarth January 9, 2014 at 10:12 PM

Thanks Alison! I can’t quite believe we’re actually going there, it’s something we’ve talked about for SO long and now it’s actually happening. Can’t wait! :)
Have a look! Satu Vänskä-Westgarth recently posted..What’s Up 2014!?My Profile

Reeta @houseofanais January 9, 2014 at 3:06 PM

I love your goals. I am not sure yet about my year, so have to wait before anything goes public…look forward to seeing your big adventure and I hope all your dreams for this year will come true!
Have a look! Reeta @houseofanais recently posted..the wonders of the dead sea and massada in negev desertMy Profile

Satu Vänskä-Westgarth January 9, 2014 at 10:16 PM

I’m SO excited to hear where your next home will be, if you end up making the move! And I hope you will be happy with what ever it will be. Thank you so much Reeta and I hope you will have another adventurous year ahead too!
Have a look! Satu Vänskä-Westgarth recently posted..What’s Up 2014!?My Profile

Leigh Powell Hines @Hinessightblog January 9, 2014 at 6:10 PM

Great things are in store for you. Like you, I need to find a better balance this year.
Have a look! Leigh Powell Hines @Hinessightblog recently posted..Take Me to Warm St. Thomas for #IGTravelThursdayMy Profile

Satu Vänskä-Westgarth January 9, 2014 at 10:17 PM

Yeah, it’s hard to achieve though says someone who should be in bed by now catching up some sleep, not online! 😉
Have a look! Satu Vänskä-Westgarth recently posted..What’s Up 2014!?My Profile

Farrah January 10, 2014 at 9:46 AM

Oh fun!!! And I am still dying to know about your BIG adventure :)
Have a look! Farrah recently posted..How I Met My Husband: The Long VersionMy Profile

Satu Vänskä-Westgarth January 11, 2014 at 8:09 AM

Ha ha, I really hope it won’t turn out to be “the big flop” or “the adventure that never was” 😉
Have a look! Satu Vänskä-Westgarth recently posted..What’s Up 2014!?My Profile

Sophie January 11, 2014 at 12:00 AM

Are you moving to New Zealand permanently, Satu?
Have a look! Sophie recently posted..Sir Walter Scott Monument in EdinburghMy Profile

Satu Vänskä-Westgarth January 11, 2014 at 8:10 AM

No no no! We’re there just under two months. Nice escape from this “not so good” winter this year :)
Have a look! Satu Vänskä-Westgarth recently posted..What’s Up 2014!?My Profile

Ruth Lindroos January 11, 2014 at 12:42 AM

Hmm.. big adventure… (; those are the best.

It is true, that when you speak out loud of things you urge to become or want to succeed in, they become automatically more likely, since your subconcious actions follow the concious ones.. referring to this I think writing resolutions down in public is good- after all there is more to gain then loose, as in most of times :)

Satu Vänskä-Westgarth January 11, 2014 at 8:11 AM

I know, I’ve speaking about this “adventure” to the people around me a LOT, so that I HAVE to make it happen. We’ll see what will come!! Thanks for stopping by! :)
Have a look! Satu Vänskä-Westgarth recently posted..What’s Up 2014!?My Profile

Elisa January 12, 2014 at 12:03 AM

These are fantastic resolutions, I can share so many of them! #1 is spot on!!

Satu Vänskä-Westgarth January 12, 2014 at 7:16 AM

Thanks Elisa, and so nice that you stopped by!
Have a look! Satu Vänskä-Westgarth recently posted..What’s Up 2014!?My Profile

Margaret | Destination Here&Now January 20, 2014 at 1:01 PM

Hey Satu. New Zealand !! ?? Perhaps a Sydney stop over and coffee :) ??
Have a look! Margaret | Destination Here&Now recently posted..Home. But not home.My Profile

Satu Vänskä-Westgarth January 21, 2014 at 7:09 PM

Now that would be lovely!! We’ll be flying via Australia (only stop-over), but I’m afraid it’s Brisbane. Would’ve loved to stop for a coffee, or rather some of the famous Australian wine!! :)

Margaret Hogan January 28, 2014 at 10:32 PM

You know where we live :) x
Have a look! Margaret Hogan recently posted..8tracks – the coolest music appMy Profile