by Satu Vänskä-Westgarth on November 21, 2013 · 18 comments

handy-gadgets-thumb

I’m venturing on new waters and for once doing a post that doesn’t involve travel stories, destinations or excitement of upcoming travel destinations. Although I kind of have to add that I am super fantastically (my husband’s words for me) excited about our summer trip to New Zealand in the middle of our winter, as just yesterday we secured accommodation close to Rotorua, the Sulphur City of New Zealand for our stay!

When it comes to photography, I am faced with dilemma. I love my Canon 6D DSLR and all the lenses that come with it, and even more I love my husband’s lenses as he’s the one who has invested (research) time and money on his. But the thing that is bugging me is the size. And the weight. These days my hands are full with bottles, snacks, nappies and what not for the little ones, and the bulky DSLR is definitely not the handiest for quick snapshots. Hence while I sit on the fence thinking if I should downsize for something more compact or not, I have put more effort into getting the best out of my iPhone4.

I love to shoot outdoors and I love to shoot adventure when on one, and I have been looking to add to my iPhone paraphernalia to make the most of what I got to be able to produce fantastic shots for Instagram, as I have stubbornly decided to stick to mobile phone images only in that medium.

Here are some of the gadgets that are on my wish-list, and as Christmas is drawing closer, maybe, just maybe Santa might read this?

Keizus Quadrapod and Clamp

Keizus QuadropodKeizus Quadrapod and Clamp is a robort-like tripody thing that according to the marketing pitch on the producers’ website, is a perfect companion with human-like characteristics and endless possibilities. What!? That slightly freaky detail aside, this multi-purpose accessory seems fantastic both for photography and video, and it can accommodate range of devices from smartphones to tablets and cameras.

Why do I want this? I can’t even count the times I’ve needed a tripod for my iPhone and this seems like a great non-tripod tripod. If you get what I mean… Price: $39.95

Olloclip

OlloClipI’ve got the chance to test the Olloclip (thanks Kea at Deep Red Blues!) and it is fantastic, even though the joy only lasted for few minutes. It’s small and compact, and comes with either three or four different lenses to play with. The 3-lens version has fisheye, wide-angle and macro lens, and the 4-lens version comes with two different macro lenses (10x and 15x) instead of just one. The only drawback is that you have to remove your phone cover to attach the lens, but Olloclip now also produces a Quick-Flip Case which has a rotating corner so that you can attach the lens without removing the whole cover. Prices start from $69.99 and it’s obvious isn’t it, with three or four different lenses you can add whole new dimensions to your Instagram photography!

Outride by mophie

Mophie OutrideThe promise: OutRide transforms your iPhone into the ultimate wide-angle action sports camera. Mount it to just about anything. Record every run. Claim it and share it with the world instantly.

My rides of late have been more stroller-kind-of rides with a baby than anything sporty, and these rides are probably not what the crew at mophie was referring to. But, this little gadget is tempting as the skiing season is upon us, and in January the kayaking and biking will begin earlier than ever before! The case is also waterproof and drop-proof and should hence be used by me at all times, I reckon (looking at my shattered iPhone front cover as I type) Price: $99.95

There is probably a whole new world of geeky gadgets out there that I don’t know of needing, yet, and I would love to hear if you use any!

Here in Norway we are now lighting the fire every night as the days and especially nights are getting colder and colder, so much so that next week Norway will be Frozen. Disney style and in States anyway! Staying in that theme I will dig up something frozen too to start the week.

And if you wondered about the photo at the top, well, she doesn’t need any gadgets yet, but she is getting quite into taking snapshots of her daily life in the form of blurry floors and walls, especially.

Have you participated in Instagram Travel Thursday yet? If not, it’s not too late!

I’m part of the team co-hosting the Instagram Travel Thursday Linky, an initiative started with Skimbaco Lifestyle online magazine to connect travel and Instagram enthusiasts across borders and I would love if you joined us! Read the guidelines on Skimbaco’s site and get to know us co-hosts better by hovering your mouse over the interactive image below. And once you are ready with your own post, please add it to the Linky in the bottom of the page and check out some of the other participating bloggers! In Instagram you can find me at @todestinationunknown

Farrah November 21, 2013 at 10:17 AM

Ok- so first, YES! That sounds like a SUPER Fantastically AWESOME winter trip. Good for you!!

And look at these fun little gadgets- wow. That tripod one I would love. I sure could have used it last weekend :)
Have a look! Farrah recently posted..Instagram Travel Thursday: The Island of Gozo in MaltaMy Profile

Satu Vänskä-Westgarth November 21, 2013 at 11:37 AM

I know, I’ve never been there and I couldn’t be more excited!! :)

There are SO many gadgets and more coming out all the time, these are just some that I found interesting.
Have a look! Satu Vänskä-Westgarth recently posted..3 Handy Mobile Gadgets to Make Outdoor and Adventure Photography Pop on InstagramMy Profile

Kea November 21, 2013 at 10:26 AM

I love my Olloclip, just need to remember to take it with me more often.. :) Plus Finland doesn’t offer much in the way of light this time of year to actually take advantage of it… but soon!
Have a look! Kea recently posted..Instagram Travel Thursday: Rescue Dogs in Phoenix, AZMy Profile

Satu Vänskä-Westgarth November 21, 2013 at 11:38 AM

I edited the post to give you some credit, I don’t think I would’ve found out about it without you!

Kea November 21, 2013 at 10:39 PM

Cheers! :)

Reeta @houseofanais November 21, 2013 at 11:03 AM

I am so with you on the camera issue, even though I don’t have to carry nappies and stuff any longer. I think I;m going to ask Santa for Olloclip this year and try to see if I can manage with that and my Iphone only. Thanks for the review of what’s out there – really useful for a novice like me!
Have a look! Reeta @houseofanais recently posted..december travel bucket list on #igtravelthursdayMy Profile

Satu Vänskä-Westgarth November 21, 2013 at 11:39 AM

I’m actually not going to wait for Santa, ordering the Olloclip right now so that it will hopefully be waiting for me in UK when I arrive! And happy to hear this was useful :)

Susan (@VibrantIreland) November 21, 2013 at 11:18 AM

I can’t carry a heavy camera either, and though my Samsung Note has a great camera normally, for far away shots I would love a add-on lens. Santa…. :-)
Have a look! Susan (@VibrantIreland) recently posted..Dublin Christmas Windows- Very Atmospheric!My Profile

Satu Vänskä-Westgarth November 21, 2013 at 11:39 AM

Santa will be broke after this Christmas, I reckon… :)

Mrs. Chasing the Donkey November 21, 2013 at 3:00 PM

Even though NZ is right next door to Aust. I never managed to make it there. I am sure you’ll have a great time!
And… what do you need with gadgets? Your photos are already amazing!!
Have a look! Mrs. Chasing the Donkey recently posted..Doors of Istria #IGTravelThursdayMy Profile

Satu Vänskä-Westgarth November 21, 2013 at 4:02 PM

Hah, you are too kind!! I think it’s always good to explore different ways of doing things, I for sure need some inspiration on how to capture snowy sceneries from a new angle!

Alison Chino November 21, 2013 at 6:48 PM

I am amazed by all the options out there to help with iPhone photog! And that doesn’t even include all the apps. And more and more coming out every day! Crazy!

I have borrowed a friend’s Olliclip before and LOVED it! However, I saw another lens for an iPhone this week that I am SUPER curious about, the Sony QX10?

Satu Vänskä-Westgarth November 21, 2013 at 8:16 PM

I know, it’s a lucrative business if you can come up with something that gets popular! I have to check out the Sony one as well, sounds interesting.

Elena November 22, 2013 at 12:41 AM

I love love love my Olio clip– in fact I saw some pics on Instagram of pics through the Olioclip lens directly that I want to try. I have not used any of the small tripods though I have thought about getting one on multiple occasions. Great tips!
Have a look! Elena recently posted..Use Instagram to Pick a Destination RaceMy Profile

Satu Vänskä-Westgarth November 22, 2013 at 2:39 PM

Good to hear of more positive reviews for Ollo Clip, makes me want it even more! And I think small tripod would be really handy too!

Leigh Powell Hines @Hinessightblog November 22, 2013 at 2:07 AM

Interesting. Great informative post.
Have a look! Leigh Powell Hines @Hinessightblog recently posted..Mandarin Oriental Hotels Prove on Instagram that a Hotel Room is More than JUST a Place to SleepMy Profile

Satu Vänskä-Westgarth November 22, 2013 at 2:39 PM