Can You Guess Where We’re Heading?

by Satu Vänskä-Westgarth on October 31, 2013 · 19 comments

where-next-thumb

No, you don’t really need to guess. I am SO excited, that people around me are most likely sick of hearing about our next big destination. Hence I thought I’d get you on board instead and as well and give Ireland a break before I return there next week, virtually anyway.

We are going to…

…New Zealand!

I would like to write this post with using only exclamation marks to finish off sentences, but that would get bit distracting. However, this is our first venture outside Europe in three years and I am thrilled! There is nothing wrong with Europe and in fact, I don’t think I will ever move as I love the ease of travelling between countries and across cultural borders. And having family in hand within day’s travel distance too.

But yet, to go somewhere so far, so new, so different. There might be fjords in Norway too (and what fjords they are, have a look at Tafjord to start with), but no volcanic activity as there is in Rotarua. There’s no Hobbiton nor Ninety Mile Beach.

When I recently travelled to Ireland I was armed with inspiration, guidance and ideas from other Instagram users. For this Thursday’s Instagram Travel Thursday post I have only just started to find visual inspiration from Instagram, and at first I hit the brick wall. New Zealand’s tourism board has an amazing website but no Instagram account. Auckland Tourism, the same.

I asked who to follow in NZ on Instagram few days ago and that’s how I started to find interesting accounts and personalities. I can’t wait for Young Adventuress to get back “home” from Europe, and I’m ready to get my bike out when viewing Brad’s images of mountain biking. Maybe something little more chilled for me though! And the only word to describe Brandon’s mainly black and white images is magical, as overused as the word is. There are several others who I am now following with interest and who have helped me along, but more about all of these later on.

For now I’d like to throw the ball to you though. Do you know any IG-users you would recommend? Or favourite NZ-based bloggers? Or any must-do-or-see activities or places in New Zealand if you have been there yourself?

I, who once said that “I don’t really read guide books anymore” have already downloaded Lonely Planet’s North Island guide on my Kindle, and I’m waiting for the post man to deliver my copy of “NZ Frenzy: an adventurer’s guide to New Zealand’s wild places” by Scott Cook.

Looks like I read guide books after all. And it looks like I also managed to put together an Instagram Travel Thursday post with no photos, what so ever! Refreshing. :)

********************************

Have you participated in Instagram Travel Thursday yet? If not, it’s not too late!

I’m part of the team co-hosting the Instagram Travel Thursday Linky, an initiative started with Skimbaco Lifestyle online magazine to connect travel and Instagram enthusiasts across borders and I would love if you joined us! Read the guidelines on Skimbaco’s site and get to know us co-hosts better by hovering your mouse over the interactive image below. And once you are ready with your own post, please add it to the Linky in the bottom of the page and check out some of the other participating bloggers! All images except the feature image are from my personal Instagram gallery, you can find me there at @todestinationunknown

Katja of Skimbaco October 31, 2013 at 7:23 AM

I am so excited for you!!!! I can’t wait to hear more of your travel planning.
Have a look! Katja of Skimbaco recently posted..Comment on Destination Unknown: Tips for Finding the Perfect Vacation Rental Abroad by Satu Vänskä-WestgarthMy Profile

Satu Vänskä-Westgarth November 4, 2013 at 6:53 AM

Thanks Katja!! This trip really is a dream come true, I can’t wait until January!
Have a look! Satu Vänskä-Westgarth recently posted..Can You Guess Where We’re Heading?My Profile

Elaine Farrell October 31, 2013 at 9:58 AM

Nothing beats hard copy, Satu. I had to laugh at your post, because although the title of your post is ‘can you guess where we’re heading?’ the first thing I noticed on opening the blog were the words ‘New Zealand’…hahaha! I can sense your excitement from here! And, I’m very excited for you!!! Can I come too!! x

Satu Vänskä-Westgarth November 4, 2013 at 6:54 AM

Ha ha, I’m not very good at these guessing games when I AM so excited :) And for sure, I’m sure you would fit in one of the kayaks in our luggage….? :)

Susan (@VibrantIreland) October 31, 2013 at 10:52 AM

How exciting, if I was going to go anywhere long-haul flight, it would be New Zealand. Really looking forward to your photos & posts from that trip. Keep your eye out for Agata from @nullnfull, she’s going too :-)
Have a look! Susan (@VibrantIreland) recently posted..Venice; Beautiful… But…Slightly DangerousMy Profile

Satu Vänskä-Westgarth November 4, 2013 at 6:56 AM

I haven’t been on long-haul flights for a LONG time and this will be the first with the kids too, interesting to see how that goes! I have to have a look at Null & Full, maybe our paths will cross in NZ!

Kim-Marie October 31, 2013 at 12:21 PM

How exciting!!! I can’t wait to read all about it. Plus it’s warm there now or soon, right? I’m all about the sunshine!
Have a look! Kim-Marie recently posted..Handwritten Thank You Notes-There’s an App for That-BOND-$100 GiveawayMy Profile

Satu Vänskä-Westgarth November 4, 2013 at 6:57 AM

YES! It will be summer when we get there, I can’t wait!

EverywhereAmy October 31, 2013 at 12:57 PM

Very exciting! I bet the photos from NZ will be wonderful!
Have a look! EverywhereAmy recently posted..Instagram Travel Thursday – Oh, Canada! #IGTravelThursdayMy Profile

Satu Vänskä-Westgarth November 4, 2013 at 6:57 AM

All the images I’ve seen of the scenery in NZ are STUNNING, can’t wait to get my camera out :)

Mrs. Chasing the Donkey October 31, 2013 at 4:39 PM

I am excited for you – will you be heading there for the snow next year? Also can I say I am a little sad that there were no photos….. you can make it up to me next time.
Have a look! Mrs. Chasing the Donkey recently posted..Filigree earrings KorculaMy Profile

Satu Vänskä-Westgarth November 4, 2013 at 6:58 AM

It’s actually going to be for all the summer activities as January-March is the summer time over there, so no snow, hopefully!! And I promise, more pictures to come next time on IG Travel Thursday….

Leigh Powell Hines @Hinessightblog November 1, 2013 at 12:16 PM

This will be a great trip. So excited for you.
Have a look! Leigh Powell Hines @Hinessightblog recently posted..Instagram Travel: Spooky Oakwood in RaleighMy Profile

Satu Vänskä-Westgarth November 4, 2013 at 6:59 AM

Thanks Leigh, it will be something different for sure!

Reeta @houseofanais November 2, 2013 at 12:43 AM

That is so cool, I look forward travelling with you via Instagram!! And maybe we venture there one day, armed with all the cool places and recommendations from you and your contacts!
Have a look! Reeta @houseofanais recently posted..instagram travel to sri lanka on #igtravelthursdayMy Profile

Satu Vänskä-Westgarth November 4, 2013 at 7:00 AM

I can’t wait to have you traveling with us, Reeta! :)

Sally November 30, 2013 at 6:51 PM

Hurrah for New Zealand! I’ve only just found your blog but am already excited to read about your adventures, I lived in NZ for a year ending this July and am hopefully heading back in Feb. We could be blogging pals if you like :)
Have a look! Sally recently posted..The Art of LeavingMy Profile

Satu Vänskä-Westgarth November 30, 2013 at 8:13 PM

That’s the right word, Hurrah!!! We will be there in February, maybe our paths will cross if you end up there the same time! :)
Have a look! Satu Vänskä-Westgarth recently posted..Frozen Norway and come have a look at my new home!My Profile